Year 12 Physics Tutor Course
1965 Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman said, ‘All of science is either physics or stamp collecting‘. In essence Feynman was right: all sciences are underpinned by physics. For this reason a conceptually intuitive understanding of the laws of physics is required to excel in the subject. Ordinarily students are able to comprehend the basics and achieve a reasonable score in the subject. Yet for students performing to the highest standard in the ATAR, further work is required. Accordingly, the Year 12 Physics Tutor Course exists to provide year 12 physics students with additional aptitude, and with it further performance in their year 12 exams.
Structure of the Year 12 Physics Tutor Course
The Year 12 Physics Tutor Course is structured to provide students with flexible, comprehensive, and economical access to year 12 physics tuition. Firstly, students have access to 40 detailed online modules which cover the fundamental physical sciences. Areas of study include:
- Gravity, motion and advanced mechanics
- Electromagnetism, fields and interactions
- Waves, light and matter
- Models of the atom, Standard and Quantum theory
- Special relativity
Additionally, students work alongside their personal tutor. Rather than simply working through online modules, students participate in 4 hours of formal tutorial sessions held throughout the course. Finally, students can also access their tutor for unlimited informal tutoring via email and phone.
Corresponding year 12 biology and year 12 chemistry tutoring is also available via the Year 12 Science Tutor Program.
Aims of the Year 12 Physics Tutor Course
In relation to the student, the Year 12 Physics Tutor Course aims to:
- Assist students to develop fundamental knowledge of classical and quantum physics
- Provide an intellectually challenging environment in which students have the chance to build capacities and enthusiasms for the field of physics, and application of physics in their everyday life
- Develop intellectual and professional skills in the application of physics in industry and health
- Build student experimental and data analysis skills through a wide range of theoretical and experimental stimuli
- Develop student communication and management skills through collaboration with their tutor
- Assist students with making career decisions within the health or physical sciences fields
Additionally, the Year 12 Physics Tutor Course aims to develop to impart on students the following theoretical learning objectives:
- Recognise how observation, experiment and theory work to improve knowledge of the physical world, and develop useful technologies
- Apply basic mathematical reasoning to solve common problems in physics, including use of algebra and basic calculus as well as concepts such as scalars, vectors, and unit conversions
- Describe physical phenomena in English and via basic mathematical formulae, and explain equations in everyday language
- Harness the fundamental laws of physics in the areas of:
- Classical mechanics
- Newtonian gravitation
- Special relativity
- Quantum mechanics
Overall, the Course and each student’s personal physics tutor aim to provide students with an enjoyable and academically rewarding experience.
Further information regarding official Year 12 Physics curricula can be found at the following sites: