Working as a doctor in Australia: What you need to know.
The Essentials for Working as a Doctor in Australia Course (GP100) is an important first step to complete for all international medical graduates seeking to work as a doctor in Australia.
The course provides the groundwork for understanding all elements of the process of working in the Australian health care sector, discusses common challenges that are faced including employment hurdles, regulatory challenges, and the difficulties of the AMC Examination. Importantly, the course sets out strategies for overcoming these barriers and provides the IMG with guidance and a framework to navigates these challenges. The Essentials for Working as a Doctor in Australia (GP100) Course is prepared and delivered by Consultant-Level (Senior Medical Officer) doctors of the METC Institute general practice division. These doctors are Australian-trained specialist medical practitioners with a minimum of 10-years clinical experience in the Australian health sector.
The overall objective of the Essentials for Working as a Doctor in Australia (GP100) Course is to provide international medical graduates (IMGs) with the relevant information, knowledge and strategies needed to effectively transition into Australian medical practice and ultimately, to attain specialty Fellowship. This will be achieved by:
- Developing an understanding of all available regulatory pathways and requirements
- Identifying the correct regulatory pathway for yourself and how to proceed
- Developing an understanding of the AMC Examination, and developing a strategy to prepare for the AMC Exam
- Developing an understanding of the PESCI, and developing a strategy to prepare for the PESCI Exam
- Developing an understanding of restrictions on overseas trained doctors (OTDs), including areas of need (AON) and districts of workforce shortage (DWS), and knowing if this applies to you
- Developing an understanding of Medicare Provider Number legislation and its implications for where you are able to work
- Understanding the challenges of finding a job as a doctor in Australia and applying strategies to maximise your chances of success
- Understanding the various specialty Fellowship pathways and how you can attain specialist registration
This course consists of 3 Online Modules that include advice and strategies written and prepared by consultant senior medical doctors with experience, expertise and insights into the Australian health care sector. The course is suitable for international medical graduates who are interested in working as a doctor in Australia.