Foundations of GAMSAT Preparation Course
The Foundations of GAMSAT Preparation Course (CR101) is a GAMSAT course designed for all-round performance in Sections I, II and III of GAMSAT. All METC Institute GAMSAT courses have been designed to prepare students to complete the GAMSAT to a high standard. This course is suitable for students with all backgrounds including science or the humanities, and teaches core principles needed for exceptional performance in GAMSAT.
Aims of the GAMSAT Course
The purpose of the GAMSAT course is to provide students with a good foundation and working knowledge of core topics in Sections 1, 2, and 3 of the GAMSAT exam. It also focuses on complex reasoning and requires detailed understanding of core principles taught throughout the course. The faculty of the METC Institute recommends the Foundations of GAMSAT course to any student wishing to develop a solid platform for success in GAMSAT. This includes students with a past science or allied health background as complex reasoning and GAMSAT-type knowledge are the key to success in this examination.
The Foundations of GAMSAT course provides essential core knowledge of GAMSAT topics. Students completing this course are expected to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in core GAMSAT topics in Humanities and Science;
- Apply analytical skills and also methods to the identification and resolution of problems;
- Show working understanding and also technique of GAMSAT-type written communication frameworks, and;
- Have a framework for additional study in other areas of GAMSAT and in other courses offered by the METC Institute including GAMSAT Advanced Science (CR102), GAMSAT Advanced Strategies (CR103) and GAMSAT Intensive Essay Writing (CR104) courses.
GAMSAT Course Structure
The course involves participation in both a classroom environment (Foundations of GAMSAT Classrooms) and completion of numerous e-learning online modules through a suggested study plan (shown below). However, students can also start their studies at any time and work through the course content at their own pace, providing total flexibility.
Subject areas include science as well as humanities and essay writing. GAMSAT Classrooms and e-learning online modules offered in this course are different in topic area and content to those offered in the GAMSAT Advanced Science Course, which build on the principles taught in this course. In this GAMSAT preparation course, students are required to complete:
- Foundations of GAMSAT Classrooms: 20x workshops with problem-based learning and discussion, delivered online through METC Institute’s GAMSAT Classroom. Each workshop is a minimum of 2-hours in duration and are coached by members of the METC Institute Academic Faculty. The frequency, timing and topics for these workshops can be found in the suggested study plan detailed below. All workshops are also recorded and made available for students to review on an ongoing basis for the duration of course access (1 year). This allows students to repeatedly consolidate their learning, or to complete the program in an accelerated fashion if enrolling closer to GAMSAT. A complete list and details of the Foundations of GAMSAT Classrooms can be found under the course content tab.
- Online Foundations GAMSAT Modules (CR101-01 to CR101-30): The Foundations GAMSAT Modules consist of 30x unique and detailed modules that teach the foundations for GAMSAT Section 1 (Humanities), GAMSAT Section 2 (essay writing), and GAMSAT Section 3 (science). Each module requires approximately 4-6 hours to complete. A complete list of all modules can be found under the course content tab.
GAMSAT Course Content
1) Foundations Classroom Workshops
The Foundations of GAMSAT course workshops are held online in the Foundations GAMSAT Classroom. Each workshop is held twice per year, which allows students to consolidate their knowledge and potentially use the course to prepare for GAMSAT in both September and March. All workshops are also recorded and made available for students to review on an ongoing basis for the duration of course access (1 year). Students will therefore have the flexibility to pursue accelerated learning options if enrolling closer to GAMSAT.
|Workshop Title||Hours||Workshop Content||Date of workshop prior to September GAMSAT||Date of workshop prior to March GAMSAT|
|Humanities workshop||2||Humanities overview and critical reasoning||29/06/2020||07/12/2020|
|Essay writing workshop||2||Essay writing overview and critical reasoning||6/07/2020||14/12/2020|
|Foundations of physiology workshop 1||2||Cardiovascular and respiratory physiology||13/07/2020||21/12/2020|
|Foundations of physiology workshop 2||2||Gastrointestinal, renal, endocrine, and reproductive physiology||20/07/2020||11/01/2021|
|Foundations of physics workshop 1||2||Vectors, concepts in motion, and motion in one and two dimensions||27/07/2020||18/01/2021|
|Foundations of physics workshop 2||2||Force, impulse, momentum, energy, and work||03/08/2020||25/01/2021|
|Foundations of organic chemistry workshop 1||2||Alkanes, cycloalkanes, alkenes, and alkynes||10/08/2020||01/02/2021|
|Foundations of organic chemistry workshop 2||2||Stereochemistry, resonance, benzene and aromaticity||17/08/2020||08/02/2021|
|Foundations of physical chemistry workshop 1||2||Gases, and thermodynamics||24/08/2020||15/02/2021|
|Foundations of physical chemistry workshop 2||2||Rate law, enzyme kinetics, acids and bases, and equilibrium||31/08/2020||22/02/2021|