Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery (SC102)
The Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery (SC102) course is a 2-day attendance workshop. The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars, pre-vocational doctors, and skin cancer practice nurses with minimal experience in the surgical management of skin cancer in the primary care setting. Course attendees acquire confidence in performing skin cancer surgery along with developing competencies to make skin cancer surgery a fundamental part of their daily practice and income stream.
The Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery course is the first of three courses in the METC Institute Skin Cancer Surgery continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. The second course is the Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC202) and the third course is the Expert Techniques in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC301). Those interested in this pathway may also be interested in the Skin Cancer Medicine continuous professional development (CPD) pathway, which consist of two other courses.
The Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery course is delivered predominantly via face-to-face attendance weekend. Further course delivery is facilitated via the METC Institute interactive online learning platform.
Firstly, prior to attendance of the weekend workshop, participants must complete the mandatory pre-reading module. Secondly, participants attend the workshop which consists of 8 key teaching sessions related to the principles of skin cancer surgery. Thirdly, participants may elect to revise attendance lectures, slides, and supplementary resources via the online learning portal. Finally, participants must complete a short professional submission and online examination requiring clinical application of learned principles. In order to be awarded certification, participants must clear the pass hurdle set by the academic faculty (using the Hofstee method).
Complete compulsory online pre-workshop module.
Attend 2-day workshop
Complete 8 key face-to-face learning sessions (theory & practical).
Online access to all course materials for revision.
Realistic scenario-based assessment of learning outcomes.
Awarding of certification & CPD.
|The Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery course is founded on the METC Institute all you can learn model. For the duration of their enrolment, course participants may make unlimited use of the medical and surgical specialist faculty to have their questions answered. Questions and discussion with the course facilitators occurs via the METC Institute online learning portal.|
Participants can ask questions about any topics covered in their course of enrolment and will receive a response within 24-hours (business days).
Participants in the Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery course will develop the following competencies:
- Understanding of the essential anatomy for skin surgery including skin anatomy/tissue planes, anatomical danger zones, and important neurovascular structures
- Knowledge of the fundamental principles of performing office-based procedures including preoperative preparation, essentials of operating, and post-operative care
- Insight into the foundations of haemostasis including pre-operative, operative, and post-operative considerations
- Detailed comprehension of the foundations of skin surgery including margins, ideal excision techniques, pre-operative surgical preparation, incision lines, and healing/follow-up
- Practical competency in performing local anaesthesia techniques including field blocks and hydrodissection
- Practical competency in basic wound closure techniques including proper suturing technique, interrupted and mattress suturing
- Understanding of the various types of skin flaps, indications, and principles of execution including blood supply
- Practical competency in performing rhomboid flaps including indications and location choice
- Practical competency in performing rotational (pivot) flaps including indications and location choice
- Understanding of how to setup your clinic including essential equipment, specific equipment for skin surgery, sutures, needles, and surgical instruments
Continuous professional development (CPD) pathway
The Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery course is the first of three courses in the METC Institute Skin Cancer Surgery continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. Each course is accredited for RACGP 40 Category 1 QI and CPD points and ACRRM 30 PRPD + 30 Surgery MOPS points.
Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery (SC102)
Foundations of skin cancer surgery course has no CPD pre-requisites. Those with experience in skin cancer surgery or prior completion of an equivalent course may seek approval for recognised prior learning (RPL) by the METC Institute academic faculty in order to streamline into the Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC202) course.
Requires completion of SC102 or RPL.
Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC202)
Advanced skin cancer surgery course requiring completion of Foundations in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC102) or recognised prior learning (RPL) approved by the METC Institute academic faculty.
Requires completion of SC102 and SC202 or RPL.
Expert Techniques in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC301)
Expert skin cancer surgery course requiring completion of SC102 and SC202 or recognised prior learning (RPL) approved by the METC Institute academic faculty.