Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine (SC101)
The Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine (SC101) course is a 2-day attendance workshop. The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars, pre-vocational doctors, international medical graduates (IMGs) and skin cancer practice nurses with minimal experience in the diagnosis and management of suspected skin cancer in the primary care setting. Course attendees acquire confidence in the diagnosis and treatment of melanocytic and non-melanocytic skin cancers along with developing competencies to make skin cancer medicine a fundamental part of their daily practice and income stream.
The Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine course is the first of two courses in the METC Institute Skin Cancer Medicine continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. The second course is the Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC201). Those interested in this pathway may also be interested in the Skin Cancer Surgery continuous professional development (CPD) pathway.
The Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine course is delivered predominantly via face-to-face attendance weekend. Further course delivery is facilitated via the METC Institute interactive online learning platform.
Firstly, prior to attendance of the weekend workshop, participants must complete the mandatory pre-reading module. Secondly, participants attend the workshop which consists of 8 key teaching sessions related to the principles of skin cancer medicine. Thirdly, participants may elect to revise attendance lectures, slides, and supplementary resources via the online learning portal. Finally, participants must complete a short professional submission and online examination requiring clinical application of learned principles. In order to be awarded certification, participants must clear the pass hurdle set by the academic faculty (using the Hofstee method).
Complete compulsory online pre-workshop module.
Attend 2-day workshop
Complete 8 key face-to-face learning sessions (theory & practical).
Online access to all course materials for revision.
Realistic scenario-based assessment of learning outcomes.
Awarding of certification & CPD.
|The Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine course is founded on the METC Institute all you can learn model. For the duration of their enrolment, course participants may make unlimited use of the medical and surgical specialist faculty to have their questions answered. Questions and discussion with the course facilitators occurs via the METC Institute online learning portal. Participants can ask questions about any topics covered in their course of enrolment and will receive a response within 24-hours (business days).|
Participants in the Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine course will develop the following competencies:
- Understanding of the normal origins, structure, and function of the skin
- Insight into the classification, epidemiology, and major aetiological factors for skin cancer
- Comprehensive clinical approach to suspected skin cancer including skin history, skin examination, and appropriate investigations
- Proficiency in the diagnosis and management of non-melanocytic skin cancer
- Proficiency in the diagnosis and management of melanocytic skin cancer
- Practical competency in performing shave, punch, and excision biopsies
- Practical competency in administration of local anaesthesia and pre-operative considerations including excision margins
- Practical competency in safe excision techniques including understanding and avoidance of danger zones
- Practical competency in basic wound closure techniques including common suture techniques and knots essential to wound closure
- Understanding of Medicare skin cancer item numbers, billing, and clinical workflow
Continuous professional development (CPD) pathway
The Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine course is the first of two courses in the METC Institute Skin Cancer Medicine continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. Each course is accredited for RACGP 40 Category 1 QI and CPD points and ACRRM 30 PRPD + 30 Surgery MOPS points.
Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine (SC101)
Foundations of skin cancer medicine course has no CPD pre-requisites. Those with experience in skin cancer medicine or prior completion of an equivalent course may seek approval for recognised prior learning (RPL) by the METC Institute academic faculty in order to streamline into the Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC201) course.
Requires completion of SC101 or RPL
Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC201)
Advanced skin cancer medicine course requiring completion of Foundations in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC101) or recognised prior learning (RPL) approved by the METC Institute academic faculty.