Foundations of Dermoscopy (SC104)
The Foundations of Dermoscopy (SC104) is an interactive online course. The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars, pre-vocational doctors, dermal clinicians, and practice nurses who wish to improve their ability to diagnose skin cancer via dermoscopy. Course participants acquire confidence in the use of dermoscopy to more accurately assess and diagnose skin cancer cases thereby delivering better patient outcomes. The course may be completed over a period of up to one year and is supported by the METC Institute All You Can Learn model of personal online tutoring.
The Foundations of Dermoscopy course is the first of two courses in the METC Institute Dermoscopy continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. The second course is the Advanced Dermoscopy for General Practice course (SC204). Those interested in this pathway may also be interested in the Skin Cancer Medicine continuous professional development (CPD) pathway.
The Foundations of Dermoscopy course is delivered entirely online making it more amenable to the schedule of busy doctors. Course delivery is facilitated via the METC Institute interactive online learning platform.
Participants must complete 10 interactive online modules. Each module focuses on a self-contained concept pertinent to the learning objectives of the course. Each module also includes embedded video to better articulate the key principles. After completion of the modules, participants may elect to revise the modules and supplementary resources prior to completing the course exit exam. In order to be awarded certification and CPD points, participants must complete a short professional submission and online examination requiring clinical application of learned principles. Participants must clear the pass hurdle set by the academic faculty (using the Hofstee method).
Interactive online modules
Complete 10 online learning modules with teaching videos.
Online access to all course materials for revision.
Realistic scenario-based assessment of learning outcomes.
Awarding of certification & CPD.
|The Foundations of Dermoscopy course is founded on the METC Institute all you can learn model of personal tutoring. For the duration of their enrolment, course participants may make unlimited use of the medical and surgical specialist faculty to have their questions answered. Questions and discussion with the course facilitators occurs via the METC Institute online learning portal. Participants can ask questions about any topics covered in their course of enrolment and will receive a response within 24-hours (business days).|
Participants in the Foundations of Dermoscopy course will develop the following competencies:
- Understanding of the principles of dermoscopy, dermoscopic equipment, and selecting a dermatoscope for practice
- Comprehensive clinical approach to dermoscopic examination
- Understanding of the most important structures and cues seen on dermoscopy, their significance, and relation to histopathology
- Use of the revised two-step algorithm to make systematic diagnostic decisions regarding suspected skin cancer
- Practical competency in the use of the dermoscope to differentiate and diagnose benign non-melanocytic lesions
- Practical competency in the use of the dermoscope to differentiate and diagnose malign non-melanocytic lesions including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma
- Practical competency in the use of the dermoscope to differentiate and diagnose benign melanocytic lesions
- Understanding of the dermoscopic appearance of superficial spreading melanoma and nodular melanoma, and the common pitfalls in diagnosing melanoma
- Practical competency in the use of the dermoscope to differentiate melanoma from other melanocytic lesions
- Understanding of the specific principles relevant to performing dermoscopy of the face
- Understanding of the specific principles relevant to performing dermoscopy of the palms and soles
Continuous professional development (CPD) pathway
The Foundations of Dermoscopy course is the first of two courses in the METC Institute Dermoscopy continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. Each course is accredited for RACGP 40 Category 1 QI and CPD points and ACRRM 30 PRPD + 30 Surgery MOPS points.
Foundations of Dermoscopy (SC104)
Foundations of dermoscopy course has no CPD pre-requisites. Those with experience in dermoscopy or prior completion of an equivalent course may seek approval for recognised prior learning (RPL) by the METC Institute academic faculty in order to streamline into the Advanced Dermoscopy for General Practice (SC204) course.
Requires completion of SC104 or RPL
Advanced Dermoscopy for General Practice (SC204)
Advanced dermoscopy for general practice course requiring completion of Foundations of Dermoscopy (SC104) or recognised prior learning (RPL) approved by the METC Institute academic faculty.