Foundations of Dermatology (SC103)
The Foundations of Dermatology (SC103) is an interactive online course. The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars, pre-vocational doctors, international medical graduates (IMGs), dermal clinicians, and practice nurses who wish to improve their ability to diagnose and manage key dermatological presentations. Course participants acquire confidence in the diagnosis and treatment of common dermatological conditions in order to expand their scope of practice and improve local primary care provision. The course may be completed over a period of up to one year and is supported by the METC Institute All You Can Learn model of personal online tutoring.
The Foundations of Dermatology course is the first of two courses in the METC Institute Dermatology continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. The second course is the Advanced Dermatology for General Practice course (SC203). Those interested in this pathway may also be interested in the Dermoscopy continuous professional development (CPD) pathway.
The Foundations of Dermatology course is delivered entirely online making it more amenable to the schedule of busy doctors. Course delivery is facilitated via the METC Institute interactive online learning platform.
Participants must complete 10 interactive online modules. Each module focuses on a self-contained concept pertinent to the learning objectives of the course. Each module also includes embedded video to better articulate the key principles. After completion of the modules, participants may elect to revise the modules and supplementary resources prior to completing the course exit exam. In order to be awarded certification and CPD points, participants must complete a short professional submission and online examination requiring clinical application of learned principles. Participants must clear the pass hurdle set by the academic faculty (using the Hofstee method).
Interactive online modules
Complete 10 online learning modules with teaching videos.
Online access to all course materials for revision.
Realistic scenario-based assessment of learning outcomes.
Awarding of certification & CPD.
|The Foundations of Dermatology course is founded on the METC Institute all you can learn model of personal tutoring. For the duration of their enrolment, course participants may make unlimited use of the medical and surgical specialist faculty to have their questions answered. Questions and discussion with the course facilitators occurs via the METC Institute online learning portal. Participants can ask questions about any topics covered in their course of enrolment and will receive a response within 24-hours (business days).|
Participants in the Foundations of Dermatology course will develop the following competencies:
- Understanding of the normal origins, structure, and function of the skin
- Comprehensive clinical approach to dermatological disease including specialised history, examination, and investigations relevant to the skin
- Insight into the various categories of therapy available including topical therapies, topical steroids, topical immunomodulators, phototherapy, and systemic therapies
- Comprehensive approach to the diagnosis and management of bacterial, viral, fungal, and parasitic skin infections
- Comprehensive approach to the diagnosis and management of acne and related disorders
- Understanding of the classification of eczema and a comprehensive approach to the diagnosis and management of eczema and related disorders
- Understanding of the atopic patient and development of an approach to skin allergy and urticaria
- Detailed understanding of the emergency management of angioedema in the context of anaphylaxis
- Understanding of the psoriatic disease entity, patterns of disease, and general management principles
- Ability to diagnose and manage common diseases affecting the hair and nails
- Recognition of the common classes of pharmacological agents associated with skin reactions, patterns of presentation, and their management
Continuous professional development (CPD) pathway
The Foundations of Dermatology course is the first of two courses in the METC Institute Dermatology continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. Each course is pending accreditation for RACGP 40 Category 2 QI and CPD points and ACRRM 30 PRPD + 30 Surgery MOPS points.
Foundations of General Dermatology (SC103)
Foundations of general dermatology course has no CPD pre-requisites. Those with experience in dermatology or prior completion of an equivalent course may seek approval for recognised prior learning (RPL) by the METC Institute academic faculty in order to streamline into the Advanced Dermatology for General Practice (SC203) course.
Requires completion of SC103 or RPL
Advanced Dermatology for General Practice (SC203)
Advanced dermatology for general practice course requiring completion of Foundations of General Dermatology (SC103) or recognised prior learning (RPL) approved by the METC Institute academic faculty.