Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC202)
The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC202) course is a 2-day attendance workshop. The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars and International Medical Graduates with significant previous experience performing skin cancer surgery in the primary care setting. Course attendees build on their existing competencies via advanced knowledge and skills in haemostasis, anaesthesia, surgical techniques such as advanced wound closure techniques, suturing, advancement flaps, transposition flaps, and grafting . The overall aim is for participants to become the reference point for skin cancer surgery in their primary care service.
The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery course is the second of three courses in the METC Institute Skin Cancer Surgery continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. The first course is the Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery (SC102) while the third course is the Expert Techniques in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC301). Those interested in this pathway may also be interested in the Skin Cancer Medicine continuous professional development (CPD) pathway.
The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery course is delivered predominantly via face-to-face attendance weekend. Further course delivery is facilitated via the METC Institute interactive online learning platform.
Firstly, prior to attendance of the weekend workshop, participants must complete the mandatory pre-reading module. Secondly, participants attend the workshop which consists of 8 key teaching sessions related to the principles of skin cancer surgery. Thirdly, participants may elect to revise attendance lectures, slides, and supplementary resources via the online learning portal. Finally, participants must complete a short professional submission and online examination requiring clinical application of learned principles. In order to be awarded certification, participants must clear the pass hurdle set by the academic faculty (using the Hofstee method).
Complete compulsory online pre-workshop module.
Attend 2-day workshop
Complete 8 key face-to-face learning sessions (theory & practical).
Online access to all course materials for revision.
Realistic scenario-based assessment of learning outcomes.
Awarding of certification & CPD.
|The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery course is founded on the METC Institute all you can learn model. For the duration of their enrolment, course participants may make unlimited use of the medical and surgical specialist faculty to have their questions answered. Questions and discussion with the course facilitators occurs via the METC Institute online learning portal. Participants can ask questions about any topics covered in their course of enrolment and will receive a response within 24-hours (business days).|
Participants in the Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery course will develop the following competencies:
- Understanding of advanced anatomy relevant to skin cancer surgery including review of anatomical danger zones, and important structures of the head, neck, nose, lip, eyelid, ear, and limbs
- Comprehension of the use of advanced haemostasis techniques including electro-haemostasis, suture ligation, and the formation and natural history of haematoma
- Possession of advanced knowledge of anaesthetic techniques including additions to local anaesthetics, and performance of localised blocks in the head and neck, wrist, digits, and ankle
- Practical competency in the performance of tissue undermining, and avoiding/repairing dog-ear defects
- Practical competency in the performance of advanced wound closure techniques such as X-sutures, S-plasty, closure of wounds with unequal lengths, and closure of serial excisions
- Practical competency in performing advanced suturing techniques including Gillies corner sutures, half-buried/buried sutures, and suspension sutures
- Practical competency in performing a range of advancement flaps including single advancement flaps, double advancement flaps, Burow’s triangle flaps, A-T flaps, M-flaps, and V-Y island flaps
- Practical competency in performing transposition flaps including lobed flaps, multiple rhomboid flaps, and Z-plasty flaps
- Understanding of the principles of grafting and practical competency in performing a split-thickness skin graft
Continuous professional development (CPD) pathway
The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery course is the second of three courses in the METC Institute Skin Cancer Surgery continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. Each course is accredited for RACGP 40 Category 1 QI and CPD points and ACRRM 30 PRPD + 30 Surgery MOPS points.
Foundations of Skin Cancer Surgery (SC102)
Foundations of skin cancer surgery course has no CPD pre-requisites. Those with experience in skin cancer surgery or prior completion of an equivalent course may seek approval for recognised prior learning (RPL) by the METC Institute academic faculty in order to streamline into the Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC202) course.
Requires completion of SC102 or RPL.
Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC202)
Advanced skin cancer surgery course requiring completion of Foundations in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC102) or recognised prior learning (RPL) approved by the METC Institute academic faculty.
Requires completion of SC102 and SC202 or RPL.
Expert Techniques in Skin Cancer Surgery (SC301)
Expert skin cancer surgery course requiring completion of SC102 and SC202 or recognised prior learning (RPL) approved by the METC Institute academic faculty.