Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC201)
The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC201) course is a 2-day attendance workshop. The course is suitable for general practitioners (GPs), GP registrars and international medical graduates (IMGs) with significant previous experience in the diagnosis and management of suspected skin cancer in the primary care setting. Course attendees build on their existing knowledge via developing advanced skills including exceptions to basic algorithms, advanced management options, approach to diagnosis and management of complex skin cancers, and advanced skills in local anaesthesia, operative technique, and wound closure. The overall aim is for participants to become specialised skin cancer providers in their primary care service.
The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine course is the second of two courses in the METC Institute Skin Cancer Medicine continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. The first course is the Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine (SC101). Those interested in this pathway may also be interested in the Skin Cancer Surgery continuous professional development (CPD) pathway.
The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine course is delivered predominantly via face-to-face attendance weekend. Further course delivery is facilitated via the METC Institute interactive online learning platform.
Firstly, prior to attendance of the weekend workshop, participants must complete the mandatory pre-reading module. Secondly, participants attend the workshop which consists of 8 key teaching sessions related to the principles of skin cancer medicine. Thirdly, participants may elect to revise attendance lectures, slides, and supplementary resources via the online learning portal. Finally, participants must complete a short professional submission and online examination requiring clinical application of learned principles. In order to be awarded certification, participants must clear the pass hurdle set by the academic faculty (using the Hofstee method).
Complete compulsory online pre-workshop module.
Attend 2-day workshop
Complete 8 key face-to-face learning sessions (theory & practical).
Online access to all course materials for revision.
Realistic scenario-based assessment of learning outcomes.
Awarding of certification & CPD.
|The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine course is founded on the METC Institute all you can learn model. For the duration of their enrolment, course participants may make unlimited use of the medical and surgical specialist faculty to have their questions answered. Questions and discussion with the course facilitators occurs via the METC Institute online learning portal.|
Participants can ask questions about any aspect of their course, their general studies or their career and will receive a response within 24-hours (business days).
Participants in the Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine course will develop the following competencies:
- Understanding of the pathophysiology of skin cancer with a focus on melanoma and the genetic basis of disease
- Insight into the study of dermatopathology including important dermoscopic signs and their significance/association with disease
- Knowledge of common exceptions to basic diagnostic algorithms with a focus on mimics and avoidance of false negatives in melanoma diagnosis
- Diagnosis of less common cancers such as adnexal carcinomas, Paget’s disease, sarcomas, Merkel cell carcinoma, vascular lesions, and other rare cancers
- Knowledge of the indications for and nature of advanced skin cancer management options including review of topical and immunotherapies, curettage and electrodessication, cryosurgery, Moh’s micrographic surgery, and management of disseminated skin cancer
- Practical competency in administration of advanced anaesthesia including detailed review of agents, and performance of field and other nerve blocks
- Practical competency in administration of local anaesthesia and pre-operative considerations including excision margins
- Practical competency in performing curettage and complex anatomical excisions such as those involving the joints and digits
- Practical competency in advanced haemostasis including the use of cautery
- Practical competency in the indications for and performance of advanced wound closure techniques including buried sutures, X-sutures, S-plasty, and closure of wide or uneven wounds
Continuous professional development (CPD) pathway
The Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine course is the second of two courses in the METC Institute Skin Cancer Medicine continuous professional development (CPD) pathway. Each course is accredited for RACGP 40 Category 1 QI and CPD points and ACRRM 30 PRPD + 30 Surgery MOPS points.
Foundations of Skin Cancer Medicine (SC101)
Foundations of skin cancer medicine course has no CPD pre-requisites. Those with experience in skin cancer medicine or prior completion of an equivalent course may seek approval for recognised prior learning (RPL) by the METC Institute academic faculty in order to streamline into the Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC201) course.
Requires completion of SC101 or RPL
Advanced Skills in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC201)
Advanced skin cancer medicine course requiring completion of Foundations in Skin Cancer Medicine (SC101) or recognised prior learning (RPL) approved by the METC Institute academic faculty.