The GAMSAT Masterclass is a specialist face-to-face GAMSAT preparation course. The event is distinct from other GAMSAT courses as it focuses on high-yield insights and activities as opposed to theory. The GAMSAT Masterclass is held in Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane. The course is suitable for all GAMSAT candidates whether they have minimal or extensive experience in preparing for the GAMSAT. Course attendees acquire acumen in their approach to the humanities, writing GAMSAT essays, and applying key techniques to solve problems in the sciences. In addition, attendees develop a thorough understanding of general exam principles including GAMSAT scoring, timing, and how they should approach the exam given the unique nature of assessment.
Develop insight into nature of the exam, scoring, timing, and other key aspects.
Approach to Humanities
Ideal approach to humanities questions & applied learning.
Approach to Essay Writing
Essay structure guide, how to build knowledge & applied learning.
Approach to the Sciences
Focus on high-yield critical thinking techniques & applied learning.
The course is part of a suite of GAMSAT courses and preparation programs. GAMSAT candidates looking for more detailed coverage of GAMSAT theory and applied learning may wish to consider enrolling in a comprehensive GAMSAT preparation course or program.
The GAMSAT Masterclass is a one-day live attendance course. The course consists of four key sessions each focusing on a specific set of skills relevant to the GAMSAT. The course is designed to systematically define and practice only the most relevant and high-yield GAMSAT skills. In this way, the Masterclass emphasises application of knowledge rather than pure theory.
|08.00-08.30||Registration||-||Participants arrive, register their attendance are required to be ready to commence by 8.30am sharp.|
|08.30-10.00||Session 1||Understanding the Exam||Includes discussion of the specific nature of the exam, scoring process, timing, and other high-yield strategies for performing.|
|10.00-10.30||Morning Tea||Morning tea|
|10.30-12.00||Session 2||Approach to the Humanities||Includes high-yield review of the approach to answering Section I questions followed by practical application of the principles.|
|13.00-14.30||Session 3||Approach to Essay writing||Includes high-yield review of the essay template, approach to knowledge building, and practical application of essay planning skills.|
|15.00-16.30||Session 4||Approach to the Sciences||Includes overview of curriculum, high-yield review of approach to the sciences and techniques used to answer questions, graphical interpretation, and practical application of learned skills.|
|16.30-16.45||Conclusion||Concluding remarks||Q+A session including specialist advice.|
The general aim of the GAMSAT Masterclass is to develop the candidate’s critical reasoning skills. The general aim is underpinned by the following key candidate objectives:
- Understanding of the nature of GAMSAT, and how the assessment differs from the typical university assessment
- Insight into the scoring process used in GAMSAT, and the implications of this scoring process for exam preparation and strategy
- Recognition of the importance of exam timing and the necessity of perfecting this area of exam strategy
- Understanding of the types of questions asked in Section 1 of GAMSAT (Reasoning in the Humanities), and their rationale and nature
- Practical ability to apply specifically tailored approach to answering questions in Section 1 of GAMSAT
- Understanding of the nature and rationale of Section 2 of GAMSAT (Written Communication)
- Grasp of the concept of the essay template and use of a controlled and sophisticated essay structure
- Development of an approach for building knowledge in order to improve quality of written communication
- Practical ability to apply the discussed essay structure and brainstorming principles in order to perform in Section 2 of GAMSAT
- Understanding of the nature and rational of Section 3 of GAMSAT (Scientific Reasoning) including the depth and breadth of required theoretical knowledge
- Development of skills in solving Section 3 problems including understanding how and when to apply known theory, critical reasoning techniques, and interpretation of visual stimuli
- Practical ability to apply the discussed skills especially in relation to step-wise critical reasoning